What does an extractor fan do?
An extractor fan is used to remove smoke, steam, grease, and unpleasant odours from your kitchen, especially whilst using your hob. They are usually located above or close to your hob or stovetop.
Why does my extractor fan need cleaning?
All kitchen appliances benefit from regular cleaning to ensure they are running as safely, efficiently, and hygienically as possible. This is especially true of extractor fans which can very quickly build up a layer of grease, dust, and dirt with regular use over time.
A dirty extractor fan can lead to a number of issues. Some are merely unpleasant, such as food smells hanging around and a build-up of dirt and grime. However, some more dangerous issues can include breathing in fumes or even the risk of fire! A build up of grease can block the air flow, which causes the fan to overheat and sometimes ignite.
It’s important to include regular cleaning of this appliance to your home cleaning schedule.
How can I ensure my extractor fan is clean?
The easiest way to ensure your extractor fan is sparkling is to book a professional clean with Ovenclear! We will ensure your extractor fan is clean, safe, and efficient. We can even replace filters and lightbulbs if required.
Click the button below to go straight to our handy booking form:
You may want to clean your extractor fan yourself.
See our expert tips below to ensure you’ve got everything covered:
1. Clean the filters:
All extractor fans will have a filter to collect grease during cooking. Most extractor fans will have an aluminium filter which can be cleaned and reused however some will have paper filters which need to be replaced once saturated with grease.
We recommend checking your filters every 2-3 months and either cleaning or replacing when needed. We would expect an extractor fan to require cleaning every 6 months.
Before checking and removing filters, ensure that the extractor fan is turned off.
Aluminium filters should be soaked in hot, soapy water to break down the grease before being cleaned with a soft cloth. You don’t need any specialist or toxic chemicals to do this; normal household washing up liquid is a great degreaser.
Lightbulb covers can also usually be removed and soaked in hot soapy water before being rinsed and re-fitted.
Ensure that your filters and lightbulb covers are thoroughly dry before re-fitting to your extractor hood.
2. Clean the exterior of the extractor:
Extractor fans and cooker hoods come in many styles and finishes such as wood, glass, or stainless steel. Just like the filter, the exterior of you fan will also collect a build-up of grease, dust, and grime over time which needs to be removed.
Before cleaning your extractor fan exterior, ensure the appliance is switched off.
The best cleaning method will depend on the finish of your extractor fan:
- Use household degreaser such as washing up liquid to remove grease.
- Rinse with warm water and a soft cloth until all of the grease has gone.
- Remove the glass if possible so that it can be cleaned on a separate surface.
- Use a paste made with bicarbonate of soda and hot water to gently scrub the glass and loosen the grease with a sponge. This won’t scratch your glass.
- Rinse off the bicarb scrub with warm water.
- Use a household degreaser such as washing up liquid to remove any remaining grease and rinse with warm water again.
- A household glass cleaner can be used to add shine.
- As with glass cleaning, a paste made from bicarbonate of soda and hot water will work well as a non-abrasive scrub to get off the worst of the grease. This can be rinsed off with warm water.
- Follow this with household degreaser to remove the remaining dirt and grease, rinsed with clean warm water.
- Dry the extractor with a clean, dry cloth.
- A stainless steel polish can be used to finish for shine and protection.
Cleaning your extractor fan can be an unpleasant and messy job. Why not let the specialist oven cleaning technicians at Ovenclear take care of it for you?
Our exclusive six-step cleaning process and non-caustic, biodegradable cleaning products will leave you with a sparkling extractor fan which will be ready to use immediately after cleaning.
However long it has been since it was last clean and no matter how dirty, we’ll leave you with a sparkling extractor fan which looks as good as new!
Contact us today to book your extractor fan clean: